One way that many Miami area drivers make extra money is by driving for rideshare companies like Lyft and Uber. For those considering this as a side gig, your vehicle will need to meet certain requirements. At Gus Machado Ford of Hialeah, we have a variety of cars that make the grade, including pre-owned cars under $15,000.
Rideshare Automobile Requirements
Both Lyft and Uber have certain guidelines that must be followed to drive for them.
Lyft has very specific requirements for vehicles:
- Vehicle age: 2003 or newer with some exceptions
- Licensing; current in-state plates and registration
- Tires: must have sufficient tread and pass the “penny” test
- Windows: these must be functional, and the windshield must not have major cracks
- Seat belts: at least four passenger seatbelts must be working
- Front seat: front seats should more forward and backward as designed
- Configuration: four-doors, all operable
- Climate control: heat and AC must be working
For Uber, there are categories of cars. To drive for UberX, cars must meet these specifications:
- Vehicle age: there are limits, which vary by city, but the average is must be 15 years or younger
- In-state plates: the car being driven must be from that state to ensure that the vehicle complies with that state’s regulations
- Current registration: an up-to-date registration is required
- Configuration: cars must be four-door sedans and seat four or more passengers comfortably
All vehicles must pass the Uber driver car requirements test before they can be used.
Beyond UberX, there are higher categories that require luxury cars.
Rideshare Vehicles Available at Gus Machado Ford of Hialeah
At your local Miami Ford dealer, we offer a variety of sedans, crossovers, and SUVs that meet these guidelines, both new and used. Browse our inventory online or visit us today!